8 Winter Driving Tips

Denver just got its first major snowfall of the season, and today I felt like I had all of my winter tricks out in full force so I figured I would share them with you! This list is more than just "carry a jar of sand/kitty litter" (I don't even do that).

When buying a car, pick one that will suit you in all seasons
Being the Viking that I am, I bought a car specifically for driving in snow. I think it's so important to be mindful of your climate, and when you're purchasing a car, do so with ALL seasons in mind! A car that rides well in the snow will be even better in the summer! (I drive a Subaru Crosstrek)

Brush your car off NOW! 
I know it sucks to go out while it's cold and you're all toasty warm inside, but I promise that brushing your car off as soon as the snow stops falling will benefit you SO MUCH. Don't give the snow any chance to harden into ice or compact as temperatures rise. Doing it as soon as you can means that you'll have less work when you actually want to go somewhere.

Don't use the ice scraper on your brush
It's stupid. I have NEVER had success using that thing. Instead I have this little triangle that I will never ever get rid of. It has an ice chipper, a frost scraper, and a squeegee. It does a phenomenal job, and I use it in addition to my brush.



Keep two pairs of mittens in your car
I just fell into this on accident, but it's been a lifesaver for me! Because I use the little triangle, I find that my mittens get covered in snow/frost shavings. When I start to drive, my mittens are wet AND cold, and that's a horrible feeling. I have a second set of mittens (my red ones have leather grips for driving) and these are dry and keep my hands warm while I get on the road!


Become intimately familiar with your car
When it's snowy it's even more important to know your car, how much space it takes up on the road, and how it feels to drive in regular, non-snowy conditions! Are those normal bumps, or is your alignment out? Are you slowing down as fast as you thought or might you be slipping? Do you know where the curb is under all that snow and are you about to hit it? Knowing your car will prevent YOU from hurting it when driving in the snow.

Spin-out on purpose
This might sound a little strange, but it's really important to learn how it feels when your cars tires are solidly on the ground below you, and when you're "floating". Intentionally taking a corner a little quickly will help you learn what it feels like to slide versus grip in a turn. Obviously do this when no one is around, and when you're not at risk for blocking traffic or hitting anything/anyone.

When you're sliding...
I always hear really conflicting information about skidding out, so here's my two cents: TURN YOUR TIRES IN THE DIRECTION YOU WANT TO BE GOING WHEN YOU STOP SLIDING. It's not rocket science - when you get grip, be heading in the direction you want to be going!
Additionally, if you're fishtailing as you leave a stop, stay calm. Don't let a small skid rattle you - it may make you a less-safe driver. Trust your instincts and your cars ability to get going again.

Run your errands early in the morning after an overnight snow
This morning I went to the post office and went grocery shopping at 7:30am. The roads had been plowed, no one was out, and I made better time than if I had waited until later in the day! When fewer people are on the road, it's actually safer to drive around. Be mindful of your car's clearance so you don't get stuck in un-plowed parking lots, but I was home by 9 and now I can stay home with a brushed-off car and enjoy a lazy afternoon :)


Comments

Popular Posts