Crock Pot Beef Burgundy

In the words of everyone right now...."Go home Denver, you're drunk". It's May 1st and we're having ANOTHER snowstorm! Look at my cute little deck that is just DYING to be used. *sigh* 



Ok. So if it's going to be snowy, I'm going to make cold weather food dammit! One afternoon last weekend I was REALLY in the mood for beef burgundy, but I hadn't been marinating any meat, and really...it felt a bit more labor intensive than I was prepared for. So I re-hashed the recipe and put the same flavors into the crock pot!

You will need:
1 slab chuck shoulder roast (mine was about 1.3 pounds)
Daikon Radish, cubed
Baby carrots
Pearl onions
2T butter
Tomato Paste (about 1/2 small can)
Lemon Juice (or concentrate)
Red Wine (I think I used a Merlot?) 1/2cup to 2/3 cup
2-3 cloves of garlic, well chopped
Salt & Pepper to taste

To begin, brown your roast on both sides in a super hot pan (for crusty brown goodness). Admittedly I was feeling antsy and I didn't brown my roast very well. But it worked none the less


While your roast is going, load your crock pot with all your veggie goodness and your garlic.


After your roast is done, toss it on top and turn the crock to low. Keep your pan on the heat and toss in a pat of butter. It will sizzle and loosen all the yummy brown bits.


When your butter has melted, add some wine just to cover the bottom and let everything simmer for a moment, loosening as you go. Then dissolve the tomato paste and stir well to make a thick tomatoey-wine sauce. Add salt & pepper to taste and a splash of lemon juice, just to brighten things up, then pour your sauce over your meat.


I let my beefy greatness go for about 6-8 hours, about halfway through I did flip the meat to the other side. Obviously it was WAY better the next day (as most things in the crock tend to be) but I was really happy with the way this turned out! The daikon radishes mimicked potatoes perfectly, and the pearl onions just pop in your mouth. Definitely makes a girl feel good when the weather is being less than kind. 



Happy Eating!!

Comments

Popular Posts