Brie Infused Meatballs

I'm finally done with work AND school for the next week and a half, so naturally I'm planning the extravagant escapades I'll be having in the kitchen! Today I decided that brie stuffed meatballs were to be on the menu. Except the brie melted and infused the meatball with cheesy deliciousness. No runny center, but brie flavor all around!

Now, I've never been formally trained on making meatballs, and if I had been taught, they'd have been Swedish meatballs (which I don't know how they're different from Italian meatballs other than being smaller and are seasoned differently...). Anyways - the way I make meatballs is different. And like I've mentioned on here before, I prefer to keep the carbs on the lower side (when I have full control over my diet). Meatballs traditionally have bread crumbs in them, and frankly when I eat my carbs I want to KNOW about them! Put them in my face loud and proud! Don't hide them.....that's just rude. So here's my recipe for the meatballs and some photos of the final dinner!

Meatballs:

1lb ground beef (I had 80/20 because it was on sale, it would have worked with a leaner meat)
2 Tbsp chia seeds
1/4 cup marsala wine (just the cheap cooking stuff)
1/8-1/4 cup water
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
3 tsp  dried onion (regular onions would be fine)
1/4-1/3 cup red wine
8 pieces of brie cheese (a bit smaller than the size of a die)
salt & pepper to taste

Mix everything except the red wine, cheese and meat in a small bowl and let sit for about 30 minutes minimum. The chia seeds and dehydrated onion need to soak up the liquid. This will be your binder instead of eggs & bread crumbs!

Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees

Once you have a thick gel, use your hands to mix 2/3 of the mixture into the beef (I found that any more than 2/3 would have made goopy balls.)

Using an ice cream scoop for consistency, scoop your meatballs, and smoosh a small piece of brie into the center of each one, then form the meat around the cheese.



Once you have all of your meatballs, heat a cast iron pan over medium-high heat.

I added a little bacon grease for extra flavor & to help the fat in the meat render a  bit quicker. Do whatever works for you!

Cook on one side until brown. When you've reached that point, flip all the meat balls and move the pan to the oven for 15 minutes.

When time is up, pull the pan back to the stove top & turn the heat back on to medium. At this point I saw that some of my meatballs had broken & leaked, Whatever - wine makes everything better!! Add the wine and simmer while your sides come together.



Topped with store bought red sauce these meat balls are TO DIE FOR!! Using chia seeds to soak up flavorful liquid is SO much better than throwing bland bread crumbs into the mix. Suck it bread crumbs - there's a new kid in town. Also wine. Wine makes things good too.

Dig in kids! :)



Comments

Popular Posts