Awkward Fridge Sir-Fry

So sometimes I end up with half-carved bell peppers and a couple pea pods and the last 1/5 of an onion at the end of the week. I like to call this the awkward-fridge phase. The best way I've found to use up random almost-limp veggies in my fridge are to throw them all together into a super cheap, extra delicious stir fry! 

"But wait, I don't have any asian noodles. What kind of stir fry doesn't have noodles?"

Yeah true - but do you have ramen? If so, toss that sodium block of a seasoning packet and just use the $.10 pack of noodles :) I win.

 I have to say I got the original idea for this post from the Chicken Yakisoba recipe on BudgetBytes but I think I have changed the sauce enough to call it my own new awkward fridge sauce :) Here it is:

Take any and all veggies that are borderline flaccid and chop them into stir-fry sized pieces. 
Now make your sauce - I know. Sorry, we're taking a detour from making stir-fry but there's no other time in the making of this recipe to put together your sauce. So let's do it now :) 

Mix together:
1T soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
drizzle of sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
squirt of ketchup (maybe 1/2 teaspoon?)
squirt of siracha
1/4-1/2 teaspoon of peanut butter (I find this mellows out the sauce and kind of grounds it)
Obviously you are welcome to adjust as your taste buds see fit

Ok now put this to the side.

-Put a pot of water on the stove to boil the noodles. Remember these are ramen noodles and will cook super fast!
-Heat some oil in a big fry pan until it shimmers. I have learned that the secret to stir fry is to keep your oil hot, and don't step away from the stove. It's called STIR fry because you have to keep stirring, otherwise they would call it saute fry. DON'T LEAVE YOUR PAN!
-Add your veggies in order of density (I usually start with onions) and keep moving them. They will start to brown at which point you can add your other veggies as you see fit.
-When your water boils toss in your ramen and turn off the heat. Let them hang out for about 2-3 minutes then drain them in a colander in the sink.

-Toss your noodles in with your veggies and add your sauce (see? didn't have time to make it huh)

Split into individual serving bowls and enjoy! Awkward has never tasted so yum :)

Mine had shredded carrot, red and orange bell peppers, water chestnuts, bean sprouts, shredded daikon radish, onion and snow peas. And cabbage. That's EIGHT veggies! I win that game...

Comments

Popular Posts