Birthday Cake and Meringues

So last Friday was my birthday and I HAD to have my favorite cake: funfetti! But I really wanted my cake to be more than just a box-cake. So I added a layer of whipped cream and some strawberry puree (just smash the crap out of some strawberries and there you have it!). I also pulled some of the batter to the side, added some cocoa powder to swirl back in. Marble cake! (just like me)

Now, the reason this is a post is because I had a really good decorating idea: make mini meringues and use them to decorate instead of frosting decorations (I can't decorate worth crap so this saved me). I realize this means you'll need a recipe for meringues so here it is (courtesy of Cooks Illustrated.com):

You will need
4 egg whites
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons corn starch
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
food coloring

Turn your oven to 225
Whip the egg whites just past the foamy stage (it is a few strokes under a soft peak)
While the eggs are going, mix the cornstarch into the sugar.
When your foam is ready slow the mixer to a medium/slow speed. Slowly pour the sugar into the eggs until all the sugar is incorporated. When all the sugar is added you can add food coloring at this point as well. At this point just turn that baby up to pull some air into the whites.You want to get as close to a stiff peak as you can.

Transfer your whipped eggs to a gallon-size ziploc baggie and make a teeny cut across the corner. Voila - a homemade piping bag!

Pipe meringues onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, or a silicone baking mat. Allow to sit in the oven for at least 45 minutes to an hour. The beautiful thing about meringues is the low heat won't burn them, but the longer they sit in the oven, the more melt-in-your-mouth they become!

So there you have it - your next cake decorating adventure has been set! One word of warning - the meringues WILL get soggy the longer they stay on the icing. Keep that in mind ;)

Now go feed the little fat kid inside of you and EAT SOME CAKE!!


Comments

Popular Posts