African Peanut Stew

In the wintertime I get pretty apathetic about certain genres of foods: salads, fresh veg, and surprisingly soup! But I think of soup as being thinner with lighter more summer-time veggies. I don't know why I don't equate chicken noodle soup with winter but I don't! Mazo ball maybe....

Okay well I digress. For me, wintertime is about STEW! Thick, meaty, eat with crunchy bread, put you in a food coma STEW! But when the urge for stew hit me last week I didn't have any meat (*cough*beef*cough*) that would be appropriate for a hearty stew. Then I remembered making an African peanut stew a few years ago and really liking it, so I went in search of a recipe to suit my tastes!

The original recipe came from Budget Bytes (one of my favorite blogs for food inspiration!) but her version is vegan and I had chicken stock...sooo....mine is not :D

4 cups chicken stock
1 Tbsp oil 
4 cloves garlic
1 inch fresh ginger 
1 medium (1 lb.) sweet potato - cut into 1/2" cubes
1 medium onion - chopped
1 tsp cumin 
¼ tsp crushed red pepper (or one chopped jalapeno, no seeds)
1 (6oz.) can tomato paste 
½ cup peanut butter
1 bag frozen spinach (or chard)

Put grated ginger and chopped garlic into stew pot and sweat in oil over medium heat

Once the garlic & ginger has warmed up a bit add the onion and stir every now and then until the onion starts to soften.

Add the sweet potato, cumin and chili flakes/jalapeno and stir to coat.

Stir in peanut butter, tomato paste and spinach, and mix as well as you can. This phase is awkward, don't worry too much about it.

Add your chicken stock and mix as well as you can to combine.

The sweet potatoes will cook in the soup itself so let the stew simmer until the potatoes are soft.

Add salt as you would like! Don't forget to salt the stew.....I might have....

This stew is amazing on its own, but the original author of the recipe serves it with brown rice! I haven't done that yet (rice is pretty carby for me) but I may give it a try.

Happy stew!

Comments

Popular Posts