Black Bean Breakfast

Most of the time I am in the mood for something sweet for breakfast. On a rare occasion I want something more savory - on that day I usually turn to this! It is highly customizable so if you don't like the way I have this put together, do your own thing!

Serves 1 generously:

1 egg
1/3 can black beans - rinsed
1T tomato paste (not sauce, not ketchup, paste!)
Seasonings to taste. I use garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, etc.
Shredded cheese

Start by putting your black beans in a frying pan on low-medium heat.

Add your tomato paste and seasonings and keep stirring to heat through. (You're not trying to fry the bean mixture, just heat it through. Cold beans are gross for breakfast.)

While your beans are heating, fry your egg. I like mine over-medium because the yolk is like bonus sauce over the beans.You could also do scrambled, poached, but I'm usually not ambitious enough to pull that off.

Put your beans on a plate, then sprinkle them with the shredded cheese.

Put your egg on top of the cheese and beans and add your favorite hot sauce/salsa, sour cream, guacamole, or whatever!

Happy breafast!

Comments

Popular Posts