Stromboli!

Sometimes I like to play a game called "how little can Mari eat today?". I played that game today and did a pretty tremendous job:
Breakfast:
Tea
2 sausage links

Lunch:
A really sad bowl of cabbage soup I ended up throwing out
Chai tea jello (homemade)

So by the time 4 o'clock rolled around I realized my mistake and decided dinner was going to be different. 

There is a Stromboli recipe from the blog Up Late Anyway that I've been dying to try (you can find it here: http://uplateanyway.com/keto/stromboli/)

While my Stromboli was cooking I realized we were out of tomato sauce! So I made my own (really there are few hurdles I can't clear in the kitchen). Here's what I made:

1 can diced tomato
1/2 onion
4 cloves smashed garlic
3-4 tablespoons red wine
Olive oil for sautéing
Basil
Thyme
Oregano
S&P

Rough chop your onion & smash garlic
Sauté in olive oil until soft
Add herbs
Add wine and cook down a few more minutes
Pour tomatoes over everything and warm through
S&P to taste

Now here is where I broke some rules: I used an immersion blender on a boiling hot pot of liquid. This increases the potential for splatter that burns. My trick is to pulse - pulsing means less splatter, therefore a happier girl. 

Return to heat and warm through. 

The whole meal was RIDICULOUSLY good!!! The dough feels/tastes like bread, but it isn't. Not even close to being bread. (FYI if you're lactose intolerant or sensitive, just walk away from this recipe. SO MUCH CHEESE!)

I'll share some photos of the process, none of me eating though. I was hungry and it wasn't cute. 

I put some cheese on top of this but Canadian bacon was a great filling!!

Before cooking...

After!!!

So pretty....
Get. In. My. Belly. 


Comments

  1. It is super easy once you've made it - and it packs INCREDIBLY well for lunches!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts