Time For Being Better....

I mentioned a few days ago on facebook that the woes of the world were weighing heavy on me and that instead of being caught-up in things I cannot change, I'm going to start focusing on the things I CAN change. Starting with me (because if I can't be good for myself, how can I expect to bring good things to the world!?).

Enter my new project: Project Be Better - because I think Frank Turner said it best when he said, "I'm trying to get better because I haven't been my best" so that's where I'm starting.

Phase 1: Get your body in line

About 2 years ago I did a Whole30 Challenge leading-up to Thanksgiving, and I think it's about time I do another one! For those who aren't familiar with Whole30, I've linked to the main page so you can read about it - this is a somewhat unusual move for me because Whole30 isn't based in science (Like Atkins or Dr. Bernstein's books are), but anything that encourages me to stick with real food, I'm all for! Whole30 is no dairy, no legumes, no soy, no sugar (or substitutes), no alcohol, no grains. Lord knows that being in grad school means I've cluttered my brain with grains and sugar alcohol, and it's about time I clean house. W30 kicks into gear Sunday 11/22. For my social events I'll be in charge of bringing compliant food/drinks/snacks, only because this is MY journey, I can't expect others to make me better - I have to do it myself!

Yesterday I went grocery shopping like a MANIAC to prep for my W30, and then I spent copious amounts of time in the kitchen (my best buy was at Costco: $20 for 5# of ground beef. Hell. Yes.) Here's what I made:

-W30 mayo (I used 2/3 avocado oil, 1/3 sunflower oil)
http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3440774534/paleo-mayonnaise

-W30 sriracha (believe it or not, sriracha has sugar in it! So I have to make my own....oh darn ;) )
http://nomnompaleo.com/post/53690118029/whole30-sriracha

-Ghee (which is allowed because the milk solids are removed, leaving only the fat from the butter)

-Homemade chicken apple sausage
http://paleomg.com/guest-post-chicken-and-apple-sausage/

-Kale chips and green bean "fries" (sorry, no picture or recipe for now)

And of course because I was so busy prepping all of these healthy meals, I ended by making macaroni and cheese with a tuna cake ;) (hey it tastes like home!)

Like before, I'll share my food for the day (with pictures!) both here, and probably on Instagram. I won't flood my facebook with food photos - those who are interested will know where to look for my stuff. Once I settle into my routine with W30, I'll start adding exercise like I did last time, but the only way I can expect these changes to be sustainable enough to stick around for the long-haul is to take intentional baby steps.

I invited people to join me on my journey for getting better, so I'm definitely open for discussion about what I'm doing, where I'm sourcing my ideas/programs, Once I have my body back in-line I'll be focusing on getting my mind back in the game! Create a more level, peaceful Mari (because the Mari of late has been a cranky pessimist and that's no good).

So until Sunday I'll leave you with some Frank Turner :)

Comments

Popular Posts